Millions die every day due to misdiagnosis or incorrect medical advice. For a better part of the last century, misdiagnosis has plagued the medical industry with no improvement. Since a very long time, doctors and scientists have dreamed of creating an artificial electronic brain that would assist doctors in diagnosing conditions and selecting correct treatments.
Artificial Intelligence – Invading Healthcare Industry
After a lot of research and inventions their dream has finally been accomplished. Most of us don’t realize it, but ‘Artificial Intelligence’ has invaded the healthcare industry. It has become the doctor’s best friend. Now we can say- Thanks to AI, the future of medicine’s prognosis looks safe.
Many artificial intelligence softwares have been invented recently and many are still under progress. Tech titans like Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Apple already have made huge investments in artificial intelligence to deliver tailored search results and build virtual personal assistants. In an effort to treat patients more efficiently, doctors are now exploring the use of everything from IBM’s Watson supercomputer to iPhone-like pop-up notifications that appear in your online medical records.
How artificial intelligence is going to boost the medical industry?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a study to emulate human intelligence into computer technology. The potential of AI in medicine has been expressed by a number of researchers.
- Many medical providers are already utilizing the AI to identify patients at risk for:
- Adverse medication reactions;
- Certain chronic conditions, such as kidney failure or cardiac disease; and
- Postoperative infections and hospital readmission.
- Meanwhile, some physicians are turning to databases that allow them to look up effective treatments for unfamiliar cases.
- Using artificial intelligence in patient care can save money and improve patient outcomes.
- Computer program known as Medical Decision-Support System was designed to help health professionals make clinical decision. The system deals with medical data and knowledge domain in diagnosing patients conditions as well as recommending suitable treatments for the particular patients.
- Health Information Systems is a patient centered medical information system developed to assist in monitoring, managing and interpreting patient’s medical history. The system also serves to improve the quality of medical decision making, increases patient compliance and minimizes medical errors.
- ICHT (An Intelligent Referral System for Primary Child Health Care) developed to reduce children mortality especially in rural areas. The system success in catering common pediatric complaints, taking into consideration the important risk factors such as weight monitoring, immunization, development milestones and nutrition. ICHT utilized expert system in the process of taking the history data from patients.
- Fuzzy logic is a very important branch of artificial intelligence. It deals with uncertainty in knowledge that simulates human reasoning in incomplete or fuzzy data. Meng applied fuzzy relational inference in medical diagnosis. It was used within the medical knowledge- based system, which is referred to as It deals with diagnostic activity, treatment recommendations and patient’s administration.
Artificial intelligence is still in a very early stage of development, it certainly can’t match our own intelligence and computers certainly can’t replace doctors at the bedside.
But today’s machines are capable of crunching vast amounts of data and identifying patterns that humans can’t. Artificial intelligence essentially the complex algorithms that analyze this data can be a tool to take full advantage of electronic medical records, transforming them from mere e-filing cabinets into full-fledged doctors’ aides that can deliver clinically relevant, high-quality data in real time.