Hypertension is characterized by an elevated level of blood pressure. High blood pressure is unhealthy. It is caused by many factors, from environment, diet, lifestyle, social issues, work, general health, etc. Hypertension is also related with a few chronic health conditions. For instance, kidney problems, cardiac health, etc., However, in most cases, hypertension is often caused due to lifestyle and food habits. Hypertension, also very commonly linked with ‘Stress’ is an acute and chronic condition of this hi-tech era. Every individual has a valid reason to get stressed! Work tension! Work load; financial commitments; education; competition; personal life; and much more.
Treat hypertension with simple ayurvedic remedies at home
How to treat hypertension? The answer is very simple! Relax, eat healthy and stay active. It may appear very funny. Here is your guide to treat hypertension.
Ayurvedic approach to treat hypertension
Ayurvedic approach to treat hypertension is based on identifying the root cause of the condition. For many, simple changes in diet and lifestyle may bring amazing results in reducing high blood pressure. According to the ayurvedic principles, hypertension is an outcome of increased Vata dosha. Balancing the vata element in the body is focused to treat hypertension. Generally, the treatment protocol is a mix of herbal remedies, simple changes in lifestyle, meditation, breathing exercises and of course diet recommendations.
Ayurvedic diet recommendations to treat hypertension
The best way to lower your pressure levels is managing the weight. Staying fit in ideal weight prevents hypertension. Diet recommendations to treat hypertension:
- Follow sattvic diet – easy to digest, light, not to heavy and spicy.
- Avoid or reduce intake of processed foods with high sugar or salt
- Reduce the intake of meat and eggs and other proteins
- Recommended fruits and vegetables: Watermelon, Orange, grapes, sweet lime, etc and dark green leafy vegetables, curry leaves, spinach, sweet potatoes, etc.
- Nuts and legumes
- Limit consumption of coffee and quit smoking
Ayurvedic lifestyle tips to prevent and treat hypertension
As mentioned earlier, staying relaxed reduces the high pressure levels. Ayurveda has a few lifestyle recommendations to treat hypertension. These are promising preventive measures too!
- Regular exercise – Walking is the best physical activity recommended by Ayurveda. Walking for 20 minutes a day nourishes the body and mind. Walking soothes the mind and also aids in complete relaxation.
- Laughter – Laughter is the best medicine. In most cases, stress is simply eradicated by a good dose of laughter. Laughter can effortlessly treat hypertension. It brings down your pressure levels with ease.
- Meditation / Breathing Exercises – We eat for the body. Feed your mind and soul with mediation and breathing exercises. Deep breathing focusing on your breathe completely relaxes your body. It reduces the stress levels and secretes happy hormones.
Specialized ayurvedic therapies to treat hypertension:
Ayurveda has special therapies designed to treat hypertension. It aims at relaxing the body and soothing the nervous system. It improves the blood circulation and nourishes the whole body.
- Herbal oil massage to head and body
- Removal of toxins to improve the digestive system
Quick Ayurvedic home remedies to treat hypertension
- Crush two or three cloves of garlic, mix in honey or buttermilk, consume everyday
- Soak fenugreek seed overnight in water. Drink the water on empty stomach. (It also aids in fat loss)
- Add herbs to the diet like basil, oregano, thyme, etc
- Warm water with lemon and honey mix in the morning